Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'm Married to a Kid

Before you read the title and think I'm a terrible wife, let me say, I love my husband and praise God everyday for the man he blessed me with.  With that being said, I came to the conclusion today that I married someone who will forever be a kid at heart.  Considering our line of work, I'd say that's a good thing!  In our household, the usual day begins with me being awake for around an hour or two before my husband gets out of bed. I wake up ready to get things done and ready for breakfast; if he eats breakfast, he usually doesn't want it until he's been up for a while. This morning, that was not the case.

 I had received a text around 5 in the morning that I would not have to go to school because of all of the snow and was planning on sleeping in.  Around 7:15, my husband is wide awake looking out the window, giddy about the incredibly amount of powder in our yard.  He had already made plans with a few of our church members/friends to play in the snow at their house if we got as much as was promised.  So, at 7:30 I realized I had no hope of getting any more sleep and drug myself out of bed. By 8:30, I had cooked breakfast for the two of us (at his request), and he was showered and decked out in his snowboard gear.  Only because I was being slow, we waited until after 10 to "drive around town and look at the snow" - which actually meant go find somewhere to snowboard, in Oklahoma.  He finally resorts to calling a friend pretty far out in the country and we drive for miles down a drift-ridden road in hopes of a good hill to board down.

Once we got to their house, we drove out through more drifts to a field where we finally find a hill that will suffice.  We then proceed to climb, carrying snowboards, in 20+ mph winds, through snow past my knees in places.  Why would I do this you ask?  I have no idea, I wondered that myself multiple times while sucking wind and doing my best not to fall in the insane amount or powder, I guess I'm crazy.  While I was waterproofed, I was not dressed for that insane cold.  After some snow packing and a few attempts, he happily made it down the "run" he had created.  I decided to try, after all it had to be easier to get back to the car on my board then by walking.  I made it about 7 feet and was stuck in powder almost up to my waste.  The husband was at the bottom, so was no help.  I proceeded to flounder around and attempt digging with my hands.  The problem was that my feet were still firmly affixed to a board that was far below.  After way more exercise than I thought should be required of me while "looking at the snow" I finally climbed out and resigned myself to walking back down the hill to the vehicle where I would take pictures of my husband.  This is where I made my conclusion.  He somehow had the energy to repeatedly climb up that hill, pack snow and board down.

 After we were back in our warm house he proceeded to run around in the yard with our Mini Aussie Emma before having teenagers over to watch Harry Potter. Why does he do this?  Firstly, because he loves snow, he loves snow more than I am capable of putting into words.  Did I mention I love this man?  I think most importantly, he loves God and appreciates the life that he has blessed us with.

When we went to the farm we were going to board at, we stopped to talk to the family for a little bit (they have a 5 year old and 4, 3 year olds who are adorable).  We briefly shared our plans of having the youth over for the afternoon to watch Harry Potter (I realize this series is slightly controversial for some churches; my argument on that is for another time.), and he told us he had never known another minister to do have the youth over like we do.  We've never thought twice about it and just thought it was normal to want them at our house.  I enjoy the "mothering" of cooking and, gasp, cleaning up after them (my mom is probably having a heart attack while reading that).  Wow, that's alot of parentheses in one paragraph.  Anyways, my point for this little spill is we have them over because we genuinely love our youth.  I think that's the key to a successful ministry, you don't invite people to your house that you don't care about getting to know better. People realize that if they've never spent time with you on a personal level, then you don't care much about working on the relationship.

In the words of my dad, "Spread love, spread love".

No comments:

Post a Comment